The Slow Journalism Company
Subscriber terms and conditions for Delayed Gratification magazine.
- When you click on ‘Subscribe’ and submit an on-line order, you are making an offer to take out a subscription with the Slow Journalism Company which, if accepted by the company, will result in a binding contract.
- When you have clicked on ‘Subscribe’ you will be redirected to GoCardless (for direct debit payments) or PayPal where you will be asked to input details of your bank account (for direct debit payments) or your credit card, debit card or PayPal account. You hereby confirm that you are either the account holder / card holder / PayPal account holder or that you have obtained permission from the account holder / card holder / PayPal account holder to proceed with the subscription.
- All your confidential banking information is encrypted and stored by GoCardless or PayPal and The Slow Journalism Company will not be privy to this information. GoCardless and PayPal automatically encrypt your confidential information in transit from your computer using the Secure Sockets Layer protocol (SSL) with an encryption key length of 128-bits (the highest level commercially available). The Slow Journalism Company will be privy to your email address, and in taking out a subscription you accept that the company may use this address occasionally to keep you update about any special offers (although on each of these communications you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from any future such communications). Your email address will never be passed on to third party marketing organisations.
- On GoCardless or PayPal you will set up an ‘Automatic Payment Profile’ – payment for your first year’s subscription will be debited from your account and further payment of the same amount will debited on the same payment date each year until you cancel your subscription. You can cancel your subscription at any time during a pre-paid year by emailing notification of your wish to cancel to email@example.com. We will then terminate your subscription at the end of the current period for which issues have been paid and cancel your Automatic Payment Profile.
- If you decide that you would like to end your subscription, The Slow Journalism Company will cancel your Automatic Payment Profile and no further payments will be taken from your account.
- Refunds will not be issued on subscriptions where paid-for issues are remaining; cancelled subscriptions will end once paid-for issues have been despatched. You can nominate someone else in the same country to receive any paid-for unmailed issues.
- It is your responsibility to keep email and postal addresses up to date with the Slow Journalism Company by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org any time your email or postal addresses change. The Slow Journalism Company does not accept liability for issues arising from a lack of subscriber details or incorrect or out-of-date subscriber details.
- Subscription prices for the UK and EU include any payable VAT: subscriptions sent to the rest of the world may be subject to local import duties and taxes which must be paid by the recipient.
- As GoCardless or PayPal hold all your details, The Slow Journalism Company will not be liable to you for any losses you may suffer as a result of unauthorised access by a third party to the information (including in particular payment card details) you transmit when you place an order. It is your responsibility to ensure the security of your own card details to avoid unauthorised use.
- The Slow Journalism Company is not liable for delivery delays or non-delivery where such delay or failure is due to circumstances beyond our control or the control of our sub–contractors and agents, including but not restricted to war, electricity power failure, utilities failure, failure of telecommunications links, failure of transport infrastructure, fire, flood, government act, act of God, legislative constraints, strikes, labour disputes or malicious damage involving employees.
- The Slow Journalism Company’s liability in the event of magazines being lost during mail-out shall in any event be limited either to replacement of the missing issues or refund of the cost of the missing issues, at our discretion.
- Personal information – including name, email address and postal address – will not be passed on to third parties and will only be used to keep you up to date on your subscription orders and the activities of The Slow Journalism Company.
- The Slow Journalism Company reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time on giving 10 days’ prior notice by email.
A slower, more reflective type of journalism”
Jam-packed with information... a counterpoint to the speedy news feeds we've grown accustomed to”
A leisurely (and contrary) look backwards over the previous three months”
Quality, intelligence and inspiration: the trilogy that drives the makers of Delayed Gratification”
Refreshing... parries the rush of 24-hour news with 'slow journalism'”
A very cool magazine... It's like if Greenland Sharks made a newspaper”
The UK's second-best magazine” Ian Hislop
Editor, Private Eye
Perhaps we could all get used to this Delayed idea...”